Pressed Into Service

 

As I was getting ready to march on Washington I considered what my role will be.

I decided that I’ll have two roles.
1. Fellow human demanding serious reforms, serious reparations (for black and native people), and ongoing accountability - all towards full and equal social justice particularly for black people and people of color.
2. As a member of the Press - there to witness, record, and share how this event unfolds

I don’t know if marking myself as a member of the PRESS will make me more or less safe if Trump’s goons riot, but I do want to make any treatment of me a clear 1st amendment issue.

I also considered masking the fact that I am demonstrating.  I have heard stories of police days after a protest showing up at people’s houses with trumped up (fuck that guy!  He’s ruined a perfectly good word for me!) charges just to mess with them - sometimes detained for days and then not charged with anything.

But then I realized that the entire reason that I am crossing the entire country is to be counted among those insisting on serious change.

So I started organicnews.media, got some press credentials made, and a couple of big PRESS badges for my helmet (which I am hoping not to wear, but which will be in my backpack) and my camera bag.

One of the things that white people can do is to bear witness and amplify the voices of people of color.

I’ve decided that I won’t carry a sign.  I can think of a lot of signs that would be great and I think it’s good for anyone and everyone to bring a sign, but I decided that a camera recording the signs carried by people of color is what I want to carry.















Comments

Popular Posts